Review: Legacy of the Dragonkin by Dan Wright

Legacy of the Dragonkin - Dan     Wright, Alexis M. Centeno

Legacy of the DragonkinLegacy of the Dragonkin by Dan Wright
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Amazingly addicting, Legacy of Dragonkin is a perfect blend of traditional novel and Japanese style manga. Each character has a comprehensive yet concise background, which gives even the most evil characters importance. Frighteningly hardcore villains have ultra-cool powers. Major characters are stretched to their physical and emotional limits and still manage to survive, keep the feel of shounen: high action, often humorous plotting for male protagonists common in manga. Quips, tear jerker moments and astounding battle scenes abound throughout the story. This story has the feel of the new young-adult model, despite the slightly sexier scenes, and even the adult otakus (persons with obsessive interests in but not limited to manga and anime) will seriously enjoy.

While Dan Wright writes with a heavily apparent manga influence, each scene remains clear with descriptions that create beautiful, vivid and tangible word pictures for a reader. The inclusion of multiple climax points, each more striking than the one before, stretch and highlight the main character’s personality. Allowing each character to have input to display personality and background in a side story helps readers to more fully appreciate and understand the myriad characters, and allows some empathy for them. This technique was particularly well accomplished as each story wove nicely into the fabric of the story without competing for time or attention, creating a well-balanced read with multiple points of intrigue. This would be a great read for manga and anime fans and/or those who may be curious about some of the styling whithout wanting to commit to a full diet; this is the book that will draw you in.

I was provided an eBook copy by the author for the purpose of honest review. I was not compensated for this review—all conclusions are my own responsibility.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/545381222